FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contestants named for the 2012 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby
2011 Champion, College of Charleston’s Daniel Aldrich, Will Defend Title
First Pitch 7:30 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 3, TD Ameritrade Park Omaha (Neb.)
OMAHA, Neb., June 28, 2012 – The 2011 College Home Run Derby Champion, College of Charleston’s Daniel Aldrich, will return to Omaha to defend his title against seven other talented sluggers in the 2012 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby presented by Miller High Life.
Aldrich, a redshirt sophomore, started the season as a preseason First Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA). Aldrich stepped up in his team’s toughest games this season, hitting home runs in wins at South Carolina and at Clemson, including a 12th-inning walk-off home run against Coastal Carolina.
“I’m honored and excited to be returning to Omaha to compete in this year’s Home Run Derby,” says Aldrich. “I had a great time competing against some of the country’s top players last year, and I’m looking forward to hitting well again this year.”
Joining Aldrich in Omaha for the 2012 College Home Run Derby are:
- LB Dantzler – a junior from University of South Carolina, who finished the season with 10 home runs and 48 RBI. Dantzler helped lead the Gamecocks to its third straight national championship series.
- Tyler Horan – a redshirt sophomore from Virginia Tech, who finished the season with 15 home runs, ranking third in the ACC. He also led his team in several categories, including runs batted in (RBI) (41) and runs scored (45).
- Daniel Palka – a sophomore from Georgia Tech, who hit 12 home runs and was named Second Team All-ACC. He was one of two Yellow Jackets to start all 64 games this season. In his time off the field, the outfielder volunteers for the Special Olympics.
- Derek Fisher – a freshman from the University of Virginia who was named to the 2012 Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American Baseball Team, as selected by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, and as a Freshman All-American by the NCBWA. He ranks in the Top 10 nationally for triples (8) and his favorite MLB team is the New York Yankees.
- Zach Stephens – a sophomore from Tennessee Tech, who tied for sixth nationally in home runs (18) and was named to the Second Team All-Ohio Valley Conference. Stephens was also a semi-finalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and named to the 60-man Golden Spikes Award Watch List.
- Mason Katz – a junior from Louisiana State University (LSU), who finished the year with 13 homers, 52 RBI, and a slugging percentage over .550. When not on the diamond, Katz loves spending time on the golf course.
- Aaron Judge – a sophomore from Fresno State, who finished the year with a batting average of more than .300 while playing in all 58 games. He is a two-time First Team All-WAC selection and a 2012 WAC All-Tournament Team selection.
Tickets on Sale Now
Tickets for the 2012 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby are $8 for children, $12 for adults, or $35 for a Family Four-Pack. Tickets may be purchased in-person from the CenturyLink Center arena box offices, by calling Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000, or online at www.collegehomerunderby.com. Handling fees will apply to those tickets purchased over the phone or online, but not to those purchased in-person.
TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation and all third party companies mentioned are separate and unaffiliated companies and are not responsible for each other’s services or policies. The 2012 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, its teams, or affiliated entities.